- Food is your Medicine: A healthy diet is number one when it comes to supporting your Immune System. Eating 70-80% vegetables & Fruits maintains the health-promoting alkaline environment that the body thrives on. Limiting acid-producing foods further insures that you are creating the ideal internal health for your body. Eliminate or reduce all processed foods; & refined sugar, which depresses your Immune function by 50% for up to 5 hours. And while Vitamin C is present in many foods, the latest research indicates that this all-important nutrient for full-body health is ideal to be supplemented daily. This is especially important to the Immune System, and increasing your normal daily dose during any challenge is vital.
- Sleep now & Forever hold your Peace: The road to Peace is paved with good sleep. If you’re not getting more than six hours of sleep a night, & insuring that your children get 10-12 hours, the Immune System will become depressed, leaving you open to colds, flu, & infection, while slowing your road to recovery.
- Let the Sun Shine in: Limited sun baths are a Good thing! Exposure to sunlight is how your body naturally produces vitamin D, which is vital for optimal Immune System function. A fair-skinned person only needs about 10 minutes on a sunny day to get all the vitamin D they need. Not enough sun? Purchase a good quality Vitamin D3, and keep your Immune System top notch!
- Laughter is the Best medicine: Laughter releases dopamine and other feel-good chemicals in the brain, all of which can help decrease stress & keep your Immune System working properly. Laugh, Play, Explore & Appreciate…Live your life in Gratitude & Wonder, & revel in how your body responds with Health & Vitality! Consider folding a Gratitude practice into your family’s day, along with nature walks, bike rides, yoga & time for reflection & meditation, which it really just quieting the over-thinking mind, while allowing calmness to settle & become your best friend.
- Good Germs keep you healthy: Your gut is filled with millions of bacteria & other things to help you digest your food. However, to some, germs outside your body are regarded as disgusting. While some of this may be true, you need many of those germs, in balance, to stay healthy. Practice good hygiene. Washing your hands regularly can prevent infections, by maintaining the balance of the bacteria & eliminating troublesome viruses & toxins.
And remember: Fever & inflammation are good signs: Having a fever & inflammation can be unpleasant, but they’re signs that your body is doing its job.
- Fever occurs as the cells are called to action; releasing white blood cells, which increases metabolism, & stops certain organisms from multiplying.
- Inflammation occurs when each damaged cell releases histamines. The histamines cause the cell walls to dilate, creating the redness, heat, pain, & swelling of inflammation. This is how the Immune System limits the effects of the irritant.
Numerous healing modalities can serve you when your Immune System is facing a challenge. Homeopathy is one of my personal favorites, along with Botanical Medicines. I will continue to share how these modalities can serve you & your family in living your best life in Health!
Remember…Knowledge is Power. As parents and caregivers, it is so important to work from a foundation of knowledge.
Mahalo nui loa!
Peace & Blessings,